Two Landmarks In Kingston, Massachusetts
The Gray’s Beach Park
The Gray’s Beach Park in Kingston, MA. is a popular local spot. It has a park with picnic tables & trees, and a play area with swings for children. There’s a white sandy beach, life guards, and a designated swimming area. The town maintains it well, so no litter to speak of. There are also paddle board courts that seniors seemed to enjoy using. Safe fenced playground, delicious lunch snack shack in the summer, little beach with shallow water for younger swimmers. Gray’s Beach Park is a quiet beach located just a short ride from Plymouth – sandy/rocky beach and cove area, clean, well kept areas for kids to play sports like basketball and tennis, and grassy area to stretch out. This particular park/beach also has a stage area that can be rented for $25/per hour. The property is open to the general public seven days a week from dawn until dusk. Parking stickers can be purchased by residents for $15 that go on sale April 1st, and non-residents must pay a $30 parking sticker fee.
About The Jones River Village Historical Society
The Jones River Village Historical Society works to collect, preserve and educate the public about the history of the town of Kingston, MA. It makes its collections accessible through exhibition, research assistance and educational programs and lectures. It also preserves, protects and maintains the Society’s headquarters, the Major John Bradford Homestead. The Jones River Village Club began during the early twentieth-century conservation movement. The Club initially was composed of men and women who “were interested in preserving and developing our natural wealth.” Lectures, demonstrations, and exhibitions showcasing the educational and historical aspects of the Town were part of the outreach provided by the Club. Social events such as picnics and clam bakes were also popular programs sponsored by the Club. The Club was a very active part of the Town, with the motto of ‘getting things done’ and improving the aspects of the community for its residents. The Club grew steadily, but disbanded in 1913. In 1920, the Club was revived and a constitution was created. It was also in 1920 that Club members moved to purchase the John Bradford House and establish it as a headquarters of the Club. The Club is now known as the Jones River Village Historical Society, and continues to be active in the preservation of the John Bradford House and the newly rebuilt English barn. The Society continues to pursue goals relevant to its mission of collecting, preserving and educating the public about the history of the Town of Kingston.
Both Gray’s Beach Park and The Jones River Village Historical Society’s Bradford House [and historical museum] and English barn are great landmarks, and sites you should definitely see in Kingston, MA. The Bradford House was originally built around 1714 and added onto around 1750, and in 1921 was restored to its 18th century appearance. The English barn was moved onto this historical site in 2002. All the locals know about Gray’s Beach Park, as well, and it is considered to be the best beach in Kingston, MA.